Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Signs of the Times

Anyone who has ventured beyond the city walls will attest all bets are off on what culture is yet to be discovered.

On a recent trip to Holland I was on my way back to the city and felt a much overdue trip to the Zeeland Herman Miller Outlet Store was in order. Anyone who has discovered this gem also more than likely has been the benefactor of the design gods with a great Herman Miller story. (Mine is two black eames chairs for only $200. each. Cool, huh?)

Again the trick is getting through Zeeland with its strange configuration of city streets. No wonder it is still a dry village, although I doubt it was when they laid it out.

So as I wander about the town seeking the HM store I am greated by many signs. But my favorite three are very special and deserve to be singled out. Now I am sure there might be those who will take offense, but I really don't care. These signs got me to turn off my auto pilot as I deviated from my charted course home and performed daring U-turns to snap a pic of what had me laughing at 25 MPH.


One would think that a church of all places would be able to accurately report what the Angel had to say since no doubt there is more than one reference Bible inside these walls. I am quite sure the Angel delivered "Tidings of Great Joy"


I see a whole new round of wristbands in our future.
H C A A B
(He Came As A Babe)
Jesus really was such a cute kid from all the family photos I have seen and I understand the neighbors were not joking when they propped this holiday declaration decoration.


This sign always made me laugh as a kid. For years I would avoid it for obvious reasons...and we all know how that story ended. I am Special.



Ok, so this is not a sign in Zeeland but a sign of the times as original art hangs on the walls of many area galleries this year. If you are seeking a unique gift please be sure to visit a local gallery who could sure use some Christmas cash (or credit card) cheer this year.

Support Local Artists!

To view Tommy Allen's artwork, please visit The Nines Gallery in Holland, Michigan.
http://www.theninesgallery.com/Pages/artistpages/TommyAllenframe.html
The Nines Gallery has the newest round of images from the Lake Michigan Suite.

1 comment:

sandig said...

....Ah yes the sleeply little town of Z-land. Did you know I grew up there? (moved there in the 5th grade) it was not a happy time for me. The stories- oh the stories... like the time the house the Asian grocery store was in was raided because they were selling "wine". My mom worked for an architect next door and saw the whole thing. Those poor people had no idea what was going on -it was total chaos. Did you stop in at the bakery for a cream curl? The homo sign -on the corner of State and Main?? just a guess.