It is that time again when giving kicks in and for those seeking a great tax break seriously consider a charitable donation before December 31, 2005.The Katrina Emergency Tax Relief Act suspends the limitations on deductions for a cash contribution to a non-profit "public charity" made between August 28, 2005 - December 31, 2005. One can donate to any non-profit not just one associated with Katrina relief. Simply stated this means that 100% of this donation is deductible. (Be sure to alert one's accountant of this donation.)
So if you are looking for a Grand Rapids non-profit, please consider the Student Advancement Foundation (SAF). In my column for On The Town's December 2005 issue I had the chance to interview Susan Heartwell, SAF's Executive Director (pictured above), to discuss the scope of what they are accomplishing in the Grand Rapids Public Schools. It was truly a pleasure to see what they are doing at SAF.
One of their programs seeks to bring all the Grand Rapids public school libraries up to national standards. It would be nice to end the year with this project fully funded and completed.
To date they have raised $1.8 million and only need $200,000 to make this goal.
So in the spirit of the holiday I just wanted to give you the info about a great program and partner it with the great news of a terrific tax break this season.
Be sure to look for updates on this blog on the many artists and subjects I cover in my column. I hope in the coming months to be able to share more insights that I am not able to get into print due to limited word space within my column.
Web: Student Advancement Foundation
Mail Checks to The Grand Rapids Student Advancement Foundation
118 Commerce SW, Grand Rapids, MI 49503
Be sure to include Literacy Project on the subject line of your donation.
No comments:
Post a Comment