Over the next few days Grand Rapids will see a new neighbor appear on the barscape - Brooklyn Beer.While walking the streets of downtown Grand Rapids (No Jokes Please), I stumbled upon an old friend being held up for all to see by another old friend, Keith Klopic of West Side Beer.
Years ago I met Keith while striving to write comedy 5 days a week at 5:30 AM for WLAV's Morning Show with Denny Schaffer. It was just an internship but it was exciting to work on my improv skills even at such an unfunny time period for most others.
One early morning during the glory days of Pulaski Days when one could have more than one beer and legally drive an automobile back home, Keith and his gang hauled up a keg of beer to the radio station booth. This act really helped kicked off the Polish holiday day festivities at 6 AM and to this kid fresh out of college it was a dream come true.
Beer for breakfast...AND FREE!
Since that time I have had many jobs without breakfast beers on the company time and even more personal weight gains often blamed on beer (and never the 10 pound deluxe nachos with cheese). Beer comes and goes in one’s life but today I was having a moment of nostalgia with Keith as we rapidly caught up to the present moment.
But here was Keith holding up my other long lost friend 0 Brooklyn Beer.
Some folks may say they left their heart in San Francisco but for me there is only one love and I "Heart" New York.
Interesting design point I found out with Keith is that Milton Glaser the graphic artist who brought us the great I "Heart" New York t-shirt design is also the same artist who designed the Brooklyn Beer logo.
As one visits our local favorite watering holes or corner markets, be sure to ask for Brooklyn Beer. Many of the brews that Brooklyn has created will begin to appear throughout the city in the weeks to come.
Pop one (or two) open. And drink responsibly….that means no Miller products - Forgetaboutit! (My buddy Keith would approve.)
Enjoy!
To see the entire collection of beers, visit Brooklyn Beer
1 comment:
Heard about this on the local "classic rock" mothership. Looking forward to much sampling.
Post a Comment