Sunday, April 23, 2006

Garagefest: An East Hills Benefit

Saturday was the East Hills Council of Neighbors 1st Annual Garagefest.

The all day event took place at Bazzani's garage just behind his Wealthy Street office.

As the tunes poured out from the garage, the parking lot was buzzin' with activity as neighborhood folk milled about with beer in hand.

Mangiamo!'s pizza cart was there and people stood in line to secure the homemade 5 dollar pizzas.

Mark was funny with his big glasses. I asked him if he was challenging Rebecca Hoffman for the coolest biggest glasses.

When East Hills' ED informed me no one was introducing the Icicles, my favorite local band, I said I would do it.

Joining me in front of the mic was Rachel Lee. As we stood up there waiting for them to cut the pulsating disco music, Irene Cara's Flashdance theme song, What A Feeling Came On"

It was just too tempting to not pass this up...so I just started to sing with the music.

"First...when there's nothing but a slow moving dream...."

By the time Rachel and I got to the chorus, the band had begun to back us up as they played along to Ms. Cara's popular theme.

Realizing I am not a singer I just rolled into my introduction.

"This is the best band in the world. They are better than any other band in the world that is playing at 6 PM tonight."
People danced and danced and danced. The crowd which normally would wander about in the parking lot had come inside and for the entire hour, the band held their attention.

We ended up staying until they closed. Everything was so great as my former neighborhood put on a festival that shows that they have succesfully emerged from its growing pains to become the hip neighbrohood of the city.

East Hills Garagefest was a wonderful celebration of community.

And Ms. Cara said it best, "What a feeling!"

No comments: