Monday, July 10, 2006

One of My Hardest Assignments

Today I delivered an eulogy for a 26 year old boy who committed suicide. Since I had taken this kid, along with his aunt ot NYC for his senior grad gift, the family asked me to say a few words.

As I spoke with family members I learned how happy he was on that trip and how he always asked how I was doing.

He suffered silently from suicide and took the family off guard.

After delivering it I had a group of elderly ladies while eating white bread and ham sandwiches ask me if I did eulogies for a living. (Of course their miracle ear filtered out my intro where I said, "I have never done this before and do not know where to begin.")

I smiled and nodded a polite thank you. When pressed furthe, I then spoke again from the heart, "no, I would short out my keyboard from all the crying."

Scott was a very loving person and will be missed so deeply by those who met him along the way. I count myself lucky to have made the journey to NYC with him over 8 years ago. His family has always made me feel at home.

As i prepared to leave, the grandfather said, "You know we consider you family."

Not missing a beat I replied, "This isn't about me having to send you cards nad gifts now thorughout the year?"

We both laughed. The real test of family is if you can find laughter through your tears.

I need to rest now. I may publish a few comments here but doubt I will post the entire eulogy.

-Tommy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tommy, There are no words that could express how much it meant to me and my family.There wasn't a person that came up to me afterward who did not comment on how amazing your words made all of us feel. My father the sage of the group who was very broken up by the passing of his grandson leaned over and said "that was great" you really have a wonderful soul Tom and everyone who had the honor of hearing you felt something today that changed us all. I love you ,Nona