Saturday, April 22, 2006

Friend or Faux - Artist Statement


Friend or Faux
American Pop Series
Artist Statement

A few months ago I was invited for the 6th time to be an artist at UICA’s Live Coverage. This widely popular fundraising event has an artist create art while on location throughout the course of an evening. This allows patrons the opportunity to experience the work in progress.


For most this is a great time to perform for the public and I must admit, I secretly enjoy this aspect.


But the reality of this one night at UICA is the long hours I put in as I prep what I can perform “Live” over the course of the evening.


So much of my work travels a long path of time to get to the final image that most often at this event I end up creating an experimental piece just slightly out of step from my gallery work.


This year I was encouraged to think outside the box and try performing a live silk screening project. So for Live Coverage 2006, I produced 4 colorful images in the style of Warhol.


As I spent time reviewing the final pieces I began to realize this poppy format was opening up a room not available to my other works.


The ability to respond to pop culture in my work has always been problematic when my work is mostly melancholy in tone.
Those close to me know of my love for satire and the commentary I engage in as I move through my day-to-day life interacting my environment.

So this new body of work seemed fitting for me to leave the water’s edge of Lake Michigan and wander down the path of American Pop.


My imagery choice was solidified when a recent study announced that our celebrity obsessed and fame driven culture saw more folks voting for an American Idol contestant than the candidates in the 2004 Presidential Election.



At first my thought was “we get the country we deserve,” but then I was thrown back to Warhol who tapped our culture like an art world prophet.


Most are familiar with Warhol’s statement that "In the future everyone will be world-famous for 15 minutes” But later he added with laughter, "In fifteen minutes, everybody will be famous."


As I reflect on what we choose to celebrate, I see a country geared up with dreams of guns, glamour and sex, a host of politicians seeking to buy elections through tons of cash or with campaign costume posturing, and a very real cultural war on gays, immigrants and anyone not viewed squeaky LOC clean.


At the heart of this struggle is the nagging question at every turn within our culture, “What is considered Friend or Faux?”


This creative exploration has opened dialogue within my work not present prior.

Many thanks ultimately to UICA who continues to provide the best place to engage in creative dialogue for nearly 30 years. They truly are a “friend” to the Grand Rapids art scene.
–Tommy


Link: Tommy Allen Art - Preview Page

No comments: